Figured I should post some about teaching as well!
Classes are still going pretty well. The classes during the day I teach with my co-teachers Kimmie and Sam. They're pretty short and I just work on making different activities than what the book provides for each lesson. Some of the book activities are good, but most of them are boring. I work on making them into more games and trying to get them speaking more. It's difficult because the English levels range so much within each class, so there are always those few that have more trouble than others.
Besides the hitting (which i sometimes just find funny) and whinning (which is never funny :P ) the kids are really cute! They have a game like pogs that they love to play and any time I say anything in Korean they get really excited. The downside is then they think I know Korean and will try to ask questions in Korean. I just look at them and say "English?" I haven't picked up much Korean, but it is something I really want to work on. I'm not sure how much I will be able to though...they use to provide Korean classes for EPIK teachers, but now that they have started after school classes every day until 6:40....I don't think they will offer them anymore. The after school classes use to only be 3 days a week. hmmmm Right now I need to work on memorizing the alphabet anyways!
After school classes are fantastic! I teach these on my own and can basically teach anything. We have a book that we use the first 2 days and then I just decide what else to teach the other 3 days. The beginners are difficult because their attention span is soooo short and they just need high energy activities....I don't always have the energy for it though! Luckily I've found a couple fall back games that they love. I also turn everything into a competition which makes them participate more and help their group members out.
I'm definitely enjoying the job....the after school classes are a lot of fun to me! And just like anything else it has its ups and downs. Luckily, my schedule works out nicely so that some days I have more prep time and can relax, and others are just go, go, go! Speaking of....I should probably get back to planning for my after school classes today : )
cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment